Christian Medical College, Vellore
Ida S. Scudder, a missionary from America, founded the Christian Medical College as a one-bed clinic to serve women in 1900. It is located in Vellore, Tamil Nadu. The Christian Medical College is known to be India's first nursing college in 1978. Along the years , this college has prospered, living upto its vision to be a witness to the healing ministry of Christ, through excellence in education, service and research.
The first Reconstructive Surgery for Leprosy in the World was carried out by the Christian Medical College in 1948. In India, it was the first to perform a successful Open Heart Surgery in 1961, Kidney Transplant in 1971, Bone Marrow Transplantation in 1986 and also the first successful ABO incompatible Kidney Transplant in 2009.
Presently, about 150 post graduate courses and PhD courses in the medical, nursing and allied health disciplines are carried out at the Christian Medical College, Vellore. Each year 100 students are admitted for the undergraduate medical course MBBS, recognized by the Medical Council of India.
The Christian Medical College is one of the top ranked medical colleges in India having two main campuses, one in Vellore city, and the other at Bagayam. The CMC has over 7,600 staff with 1,200 doctors and 2,400 nurses.
The hospital has been visited at various points of time by many prominent personalities including Queen Elizabeth II, Sir Alexander Fleming, Dr Jonas Salk, Mahatma Gandhi, President Radhakrishnan, President Rajendra Prasad, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and President Abdul Kalam.
- Bachelor Of Medicine, Bachelor Of Surgery
- Bachelor Of Physiotherapy
- Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (D.G.O)
- Diploma in Anaesthesiology (D.A)
- Diploma in Child Health
- Diploma in Medical Radiodiagnosis (D.M.R.D)
- Diploma in Ophthalmology (D.O)
- Diploma in Orthopaedics
- Diploma in Otorhinolaryngology
- Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology Leprosy (D.D.V.L)
- Diploma in Clinical Pathology (D.C.P)
- Postgraduate course in Gastroenterology
Doctor Of Medicine:
- Postgraduate course Medicine
- Postgraduate course Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Postgraduate Course in Microbiology
- Postgraduate Course Physiology
- Postgraduate Course in Pharmacology
- Postgraduate Course in Paediatrics
- Postgraduate course in Radiotherapy
- Postgraduate course Anaesthesiology
- Postgraduate course in Dermatology
- Postgraduate Medical in Biochemistry
- Postgraduate course Orthopaedics
- Plastic Surgery
Christian Medical College,
Vellore - 632004
Phone: 0416-2282010, 3072010