The stress level, pollution, UV rays, chemicals, harmful hairstyling methods and products, have only increased the scope for trichologists. People are very much conscious regarding their beauty, health and looks today. The healthy hair speaks our background and dignity. Looks are of great matter in this modern era. We do not mind consulting a doctor or a specialist for even the minutest health problems like hairfall, greying etc. This is when the trichologist come into the picture. Tricology is the branch of medicine that deals with the scientific study of the health of the hair and scalp and the disease related to them. A trichologist is academically trained in hair and scalp biology and disorders. A trichologist is a hair and scalp specialist who treats hair loss, baldness, scaling of the scalp, dandruff, itching, hair breakage, premature greying, psoriasis etc hair and scalp related problems.
Hair is a tissue of excretion, a sensitive barometer to imbalances in the body factors such as poor nutrition, medical and genetic problems, medication and stress which can adversely affect hair and scalp. In order to be an expert in the area of trichology, knowledge must be gained in the areas of causes, symptoms, diagnosis and prognosis of specific scalp and hair disorders. In trichology, there are two kinds of analysis to assess the problems with hair, the microscopic analysis and mineral analysis.
Microscopic analysis which is used to assess the structural damage, establish the rate of hair loss, confirm the presence of fungus or identify genetic influences. Mineral analysis of hair in specialised laboratories is used to assess the levels of such minerals as calcium, zinc, copper, magnesium, chromium, lead, mercury, aluminium and arsenic in the hair, which indicate nutritional or medicinal problems thet are affecting the hair and skin. As long as hair stylist and people use hair styling products, prudent life style, complex electric appliances for drying and grooming hair,chemical processes to tint, wave, curl, straighten and condition hair, trichologists will always be in need to protect hair against greying, falling and scalp diseases.
JOB AND FUTURE PROSPECTS FOR A TRICHOLOGIST:
- A trichologist can work as a consultant at a hospital or health care centre.
- Trichologist can put up their own consulting centers and become a consultant.
- They can work as assistants to Para medical specialists , dermatologist and other consultants in providing health.
- They can work as clinical researchers for hair and scalp.
- Trichologists offer consultancy to beauty saloons and multi national companies.
- They can also become a part of the hair care product manufacturing industries in order to provide quality assurance on their products.
- As a forensic trichologist, they can work as a part of the forensic team, as they can determine the appropriate age, race and other important traits of the hair owners.
FUTURE OF TRICHOLOGISTS:
The future is bright for the trichologists, as far as hair remains a important asset to an individual, sky is the limit. Hair speaks the age and the health. As far as people are concerned about beauty and looks, trichologists will remain as important health care specialists. There are only few trichologists at present and there is a need and demand for more trichologists.
VARIOUS COURSES IN TRICHOLOGY:
- There are various diplomas and degrees awarded in trichology.
- A 3 month diploma in trichology courses- it is for paramedics, nurses, pharma graduates, R&D professionals, science graduates and beauticians.
- There is a 6 month program of international degree of certification as trichologists - this is only for medical doctors.
- There is diploma in advanced hair science which is of 6 month duration.